Ramadhan mubarak friends!~

Thursday 20 May 2010

Nature or Nurture?

I was looking at the ground..

I nearly forgot that we're actually made from it -_-; The forgettable origin.. am I forgivable? Astaghfirullah~

Humans have characteristics similar to the ground from the ground up. Humans, like ground, (byknye ground) are soft and weak, rough and hard, some are generous and charitable like a fat land, like the rich soil that gives rise to many many fruits and veges etc. On the other hand, there are stingy humans, like a barren land not permitting any veges popping out, very dry almost like a wasteland. In other words, humans are different from one another, a diversity.

When walking on the ground, we watch our steps to prevent us from getting tripped or fall down. Stepping on a hard path causes no worries. From the other standpoint, stepping on a softer surface needs extra precaution.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said:
"Allah created Adam from a handful of dust taken from different lands, so the children of Adam have been created according to the composition of the land. Therefore from mankind we have white, red, black and yellow ones; we have good and evil, ease and sorrow, and what comes in between them"
-Sahih al Bukhari


That's why we need to be considerate while managing human diversity. People are not all the same. What more as a future doctor, I have to be able to assimilate with all the patients that carry along different behaviours. For me, behaviour is a hint to one's perspective and decision making. Also, a hint to the way we're being nurtured. Or is it nature that actually shape who we are? Putting aside choosing 'both' as the conclusion, let's try picking a side. Nature vs Nurture. Hmm..?

By the way, this is a poem which I love so so much from a book I got from Indonesia. I think the author truly master the magical 'construction' that lies inside a human body:

Manusia wujud dari lapisan perkara,
Ia adalah daging, tapi punya seajaib nyawa.
Ia adalah tulang, tapi mampu bermimpi,
Ia adalah darah, tapi boleh berempati,
Ia adalah benda, tapi mampu berlari,
Ia adalah tubuh yang diisi roh,
Dan roh bersatu menjadi penting bagi kemanusiaan itu sendiri.

Subhanallah.

It's my nature to cry when I watch sad movies :"> It's my friend's nature not to cry when doing the same thing, maybe because she was nurtured to be tough :p

What say you?

*****
Sometimes... I don't understand how does a person feel, what's bugging a person, what does a person need, what do I have to do to clear things up.. I don't get it, I'm clueless and I don't know what to do. I tried so hard to cope but failed in the end most of the time. I tried to ignore but the thoughts keep running. It hurts so bad I can't take it sometimes. Is this normal? Because I don't want to end up being in the psychiatric ward with a reserved bed. I need education, a strong one :(

Patients: yesterday I managed to clerk a lady with Panic disorder w/o Agoraphobia in front of my supervisor for the very first time. It seemed like I was the one who needs all the anxiolytics available. Menggelabah sungguh~
Book of the moment: Currently in love with the Interview Guide for Evaluating DSM-IV Psychiatry Disorder and the Mental Status Examination. Handy!

No comments: